Lilypie

Monday, June 8, 2009

Are you working?

Or..." So when do you plan to join back work?". These are some routine questions that people have been asking me since just 1 week post delivery. I have been trying to answer this question for quite some time now. But with the increase in the number of similar repeated questions by a smiliar set of people, it really is getting on my nerves. I am simply fed up of giving the same answer over and over again. And now I just feel like replying.." Why can't I just be a mom and stay at home?" Is that so big an issue for people. If they can not come in terms with the fact that I am happy being a stay-at-home-mom and take care of my son, i'd rather want to stay away from such conversations and company.

Becoming a mother is a very special occasion in my life, as it would be in any woman's life. And when I decided to be one, I and Anshu never had any debates over whether I would be working post delivery or even when I would join back work. It was never an if-else-if situation or choices on raising our little wonder. I would stay at home and take care of him- and that was something I was more than willing to do.

Call me outdated, foolish or whatever, but please spare me the same routine question over and over again. Parenting was never a career option for me. And please don't pity me either, as I am NOT sacrificing anything for my son.

Life is tough being a stay-at-home-mom . Managing things from the crack of the dawn until half the world goes asleep is definitely not easy. All this hard work doesn't earn me a penny but it leaves a million dollar smile on my face.

So, to all those who have asked me this question or the ones who were going to ask me next... Maybe I will go back to work when my little wonder has grown old enough or whenever I feel like ... or maybe not... until then please don't make parenting sound too low a job to have traded my career for.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dear...your blog reminded me my earlier days in B'lore..and my decision for being a full time housewife for sometime..was going through the same round of questions from diffrent set of ppls...I can corelate myself with your current anxiety very well..but i will always support ur decision of being a full time dedicatd mom..Kudos !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well replied Ekta!!

    I understand your sentiments and respect them truly.

    Being a mom or a house-wife in our society has never earned the kind of respect it should. The kind of sacrifices our moms put in to raise us can never go unrewarded. But, sadly, sometimes it does. We can not ignore the section of society, where in the son/daughter forget their parents as soon as they get married or grow a little older. Or maybe they dont forget, parents just take a back seat! Its really sad! But, then this circle of life repeats itself... over and over again!

    Nevertheless, moms continue to love their child, no matter what... :) I guess this is what "unconditional" love is :) which transcends all boundaries and is absolutely without no expectations! :)

    Love to you and Eshu :)

    I am your friend and I would like to tell you the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Ekta, you have given an apt reply to all those people and have put a center fresh in their mouths, I mean zabaan pe lagaam :).

    On a serious note, I feel it is your life, your decision...and nobody has a right to question your choice, afterall it is YOUR choice and that's what you want to do and are happy doing, so nobody should have any problems or complaints. I say enjoy what you are doing....live every moment of it because time like sand is slipping away. Bask and glow in the glory of motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its your life and its your choice,dont let this mindless questioning bother u..

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep away from such morons... or simply ignore them.

    ReplyDelete